Thursday 18 February 2016

Back on Track


Now that I am back on track I can continue creating homemade bread recipes using healthy ingredients; such as carrots, yams, and apples. My favorite bread recipe so far is made with almonds and cottage cheese, the flavor is amazing; it has a nutty cheesy flavor.  I used 2% cottage cheese in place of salt and almonds instead of fat and sugar.

What made me think of using these ingredients you ask? It all started three years ago when my cholesterol was a little high. Since taking Statin drugs was not an option for me, I decided to watch the bad fats and lose a few pounds. We all know what being on a diet means, no more tasty bread. Well I love bread, I missed not having my comfort food. So I decided; “If I am going to eat a healthy diet for the rest of my life, I must have BREAD!”

Bread certainly isn’t a new invention. The history of bread goes back 30,000 years. Making bread is therapeutic and I feel connected somehow to ancestors in ancient times. Who knows, perhaps Cleopatra is a long lost relative!  Okay, so I do have quite an active imagination!
When you think about it, bread is one food that is known worldwide no matter what culture.  Bread is symbolic and used so often in idioms such as; breaking bread, the upper crust, better than sliced bread, man does not live on bread alone, know which side of one’s bread is buttered, and quotes from the bible; the body of Christ, the bread of life. The list goes on.

My hope and dream is to create bread recipes, fill our home with the aroma of healthy homemade bread, design a beautiful composition, take a photo,  paint a work of art, and enjoy eating the scrumptious bread!

3 comments:

  1. My beloved grandmother baked bread into her 80s. One of my best memories is the smell of fresh baked bread. Unforgettable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing better than the smell of fresh bread from the oven, and your painting that you shared last night at the ASSC brought all those smells back when I seen your painting.

    ReplyDelete