Saturday 23 March 2019

Road Trip

Moments in Time Journal #6


'Spring has Sprung'! 
It has been a long cold winter, but now it's time to put that blustery cold deep freeze behind us, and march on as we watch the magical beauty of Spring unfold before our very eyes!

This winter I spent my time painting up a storm getting ready for a very unique Spring Art Show at ASSC,  sketching in my, 'Moments in Time' journal, planning my annual trip to Nova Scotia and Kelowna.

Usually my journal entries are just one page but once again upon the inspiration of my two sisters, there are six pages so far, and I am not finished!

Every summer for the past 25 years my sisters have planned a road trip, dragging me along. This meant driving along the old dusty, bumpy country roads at a snail's pace just gazing out the window, stopping occasionally for ice-cream or a bite to eat.

To me this was a huge waste of time, aimlessly driving on a beautiful sunny day when I could be scavenger hunting on the beach for rocks, and treasures, roasting hot dogs and marshmallows, or simply creating amazing sculptures. Instead I sat quietly in the back seat of a hot car, amusing myself with a puzzle or reading a good book. Oh how my sisters would scold; "Look what you are missing? How could you bury your head in a book?"
Bridgetown, NS
For the past few years I have begun to notice amazing old quaint houses along the countryside and through the little towns. 
With camera in tow I started taking pictures. My sisters announced; "Whenever you want to stop to take a picture just holler and we'll stop!" 
Baptist Parsonage - Port George NS.
I did a lot of hollering and took
hundreds of pictures.

Houses fascinate me, there is so much history you can feel when you walk in in a home. Who lived there one hundred years ago? What was there life like? Was there laughter shared or tears of sorrow? 

The yellow house was a Baptist
Macdonald Consolidated School - Middleton NS
Parsonage where I met Paul Shaw, the love of my life. After a short courtship we married that same year!
The Red brick building, was the school I attended from around grades 4 to 7, and now it is a museum, oh my!



Most of the houses I am not familiar with, they just intrigued me enough to take a photo, leaving me to speculate about the people that once lived there.

Painting and thinking about houses has given me pause. I stopped to count the homes I have lived in and was quite surprised to realize that there were 21. Then there are the houses that I have visited and vacationed in that were very special to me.
Now I am in a wee bit of a quandry, I don't have pictures of them all. 
Oh dear, what to do? Look out this summer my dear sisters!

So far this has been a very interesting journey that has enriched my life, and will continue to explore and paint.
How many homes have you lived in, and how many places have you treasured on your journey? 

Home of Josephine Love - Wilmot
Country Road
 Please note:
click on a picture to enlarge if you would like to see it better

5 comments:

  1. I love this blog and did we really drag you along in the early years...ha. Thanks for keeping up with the blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yip, you guys did! But I wouldn't have it any other way, you are such an inspiration!

      Delete
  2. Terrie your paintings are beautiful. I enjoyed your creative journey


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I appreciate your comments. Well wishes on your journey too!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic Terrie! I love your work!

    ReplyDelete