Saturday 9 January 2016

Getting Started

I have been happily retired for a whole year now, and what a fabulous year it has been. It is so true, when one door closes another one opens, well not only doors but windows have opened too!
Now I understand what seniors I have had the pleasure to work with for the past 25 years have been telling me; "You will be so busy, you will wonder when you had time to work. " My husband kept reminding me that I am retired and everything doesn't have to be done right today. He called me a RIT, (retiree in training).
Back to the doors and windows...literally my phone has been ringing constantly, and emails have been coming in fast and furious offering me new opportunities to create paintings, teach, entertain and learn all about growing your own seedlings.  I said yes to all of the opportunities!
So let me recap this last year...

  • Updated my studio downstairs, fresh paint and new floor
  • Turned my dining room into a Gallery/Studio
  • Started a new hobby, growing seedlings for spring garden
  • I taught Collage and Mixed Media, Journaling with Pen and Ink, Watercolour Wash and Silk Scarves made with Men's Ties
  • Completed a painting for the SAGE (Seniors Association of Greater Edmonton) directory cover
  • Meals On Wheels invited me to be the live artist during their annual fundraiser. I painted an Italy scene to be auctioned at the end of the festive event.
  • Learned all about having prints made from one of my paintings for a customer
  • Painted 6 paintings for my Gallery
  • Entertained friends and family
  • Volunteered for anyone who asked
Wow what an exciting year and the best Christmas ever!
Now here I find myself facing a brand new year 2016. I am bursting at the seams with a new art series I have been dreaming about, homemade bread. Sounds rather simple I know but just imagine, healthy bread, breads that are made using fruits and vegetables rather than using unhealthy fats and sugars. 
Just picture this, while the air is filled with fresh baked bread I set up a creative composition, take photos, and then paint a picture.
The picture below gives you an idea of what I am talking about. My husband suggested that I place all of the ingredients in the bread in the composition. Later I will talk more about the actual painting and my technique.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Terrie,

    Love your new blog!
    Cheers, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you need to share about Abby who lays by the front door until you come back home after a road/shopping trip !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, I know she is in good hands while I am on the road!

      Delete