Sunday 17 January 2016

Sidetracked

Do you ever find yourself all gung ho, full of enthusiasm and anxious to get started on your next exciting endeavor? Then you realize you have to complete just one more project before you start another?
Well I started a portrait in October and I still haven’t finished the painting. The canvas is all collaged, (the collage is my under painting) and the sketch is complete, ready to paint.  If I don’t finish this painting I’m afraid it will be pushed to the back of my studio and forgotten and this painting is far too important to be left behind.  
Oh and did I tell you at the Art Society meeting last week I invited someone to view my gallery and show them how to get started on painting portraits?  Another side track! 
There goes my New Year’s resolution; “Stay Focused”.
Hmmm, when will I ever learn?
Managing my time now that I am retired is difficult for me because I am so easily distracted. There are so many great inspiring people to meet, so many pictures to paint, and so many recipes to create. There is just not enough time in a day!

So let me tell you a little bit about this exceptional portrait I absolutely must finish for my exhibit at the ASSC Loft Gallery in March.
Every once in awhile I will meet someone that stops me in my tracks, and makes me pause and take notice,  Dr. Aung is one of those people. When I met him he placed my hand in his and gently shook my hand. His smile was humble and genuine. His perceptive eyes seemed to see right through me and touch my soul as he bowed to say hello. For some reason I just felt honored to be in his presence. That’s when I knew I had to try and capture him on canvas.

My friend Prem was eager for us to meet each other and I am so glad we did. I was delighted Prem arranged for me to go to Dr. Aung's office for a photo shoot.  What a thrill. I was ecstatic that Dr. Aung agreed to allow me to paint his portrait. Now I am left with the daunting task of capturing this magnificent man on canvas. 
Next Week I hope to show you the finished painting, that is unless I get sidetracked once again.

Prepared collaged canvas
Beginning of Dr. Aung portrait

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Aung's portrait will be a beauty, Terrie. Look forward to seeing it finished.

    Cheers, Pat

    ReplyDelete