Sunday 9 April 2017

Moments in Time Continues...

Moments in Time Series #2
Please click on the pictures to view more clearly.


This is a little pen and ink watercolour sketch in my journal with notes about the painting.

There were many wonderful summers and very fond memories with my dear friend Jan in this cozy little cottage.
Although I have never been there in the winter, and I don't have a photograph of the cottage, this is what I imagined it would look like.
As I reflect back on my youth while painting this scene, I realized that Jan's mother played a huge part in my life growing up, she believed in me even when I didn't.

Spanky's Cottage 

Mixed Media on 16" x 20" stretch canvas
What a wonderful time I had recalling so many moments in time while painting this one!

When I posted this painting on facebook the response was more than I could have hoped for. 
It is always a thrill to create a painting that someone resonates with, but to evoke so many memories from one family was thrilling!
This family shared their fond memories on facebook and I had the privilege of reading their stories as they reminisced. Wow, for me this was an awe inspiring, spine-tingling event!

Sherry shared my painting on her facebook timeline so her family could see my painting. She wanted to know if this painting reminded them of Mr. Spanky's cabin and if it sparked any fond memories for them.

Here are a few memories posted on facebook that I was given permission to share...

I asked Sherry, "Who is Mr. Spanky?"

Sherry replied, "Mr. Spanky lived in a small cabin on the property where we grew up. When we were young the six of us would go visit him in his one room cabin. We would sit by the fire and he would make it turn colour. His bed folded up behind a large painted mural of birds and an owl."

Donna recalled, "Oh yes, and he would tell stories about his wife and father. If I remember correctly his father was a doctor who went to his patient's houses by horse and buggy or sleigh. Mr. Spanky used to give us candy when we visited. How about the time we found him in his garden shed and we thought he was dead? We made Auntie Joan come and see only to find he was just sleeping."

Sherry replied, "Good memories."

Diana jumped in, "Remember the huge garden he planted and hundreds of chickens he took care of? He was 80 years old!  He introduced me to Cracker Jacks and pink popcorn. I still love popcorn to this day. I challenge my brothers to remember."

Bonnie exclaimed, "I remember riding horses there and sitting in his warm cottage by the fire, getting candy and listening to stories! I always looked forward to those visits."

Nova reacted, "I remember, it always smelt so good."

Donna chimed in, "Remember that unbelieveable fireplace with the pheasant design made out of little stones?"

Duane recalled, "The warm heat that only a fireplace can produce, hot chocolate and candy on a cold winter's day."

Donna asked, "Remember that pipe he smoked, and when you walked in there would be clouds of smoke? It smelled good. Oh and the table made out of trees?"

Diana responded, "He always had a newspaper or something he was reading on that table, and the painted mural filled with birds and trees. Wish someone would have taken a picture. Oh well we have our memories."

Yes Diana we all have our memories to hold onto and keep close to our hearts!

On facebook I was able to thank everyone for sharing their memories and ask permission to name this painting, 'Spanky's Cottage' to honour Spanky. The answer was a definite, yes!

Just remember...Good and bad moments in time sculpt and mold us into the statues we are today!







1 comment:

  1. Such a lovely storey. Memories in Time, we all have them but you are so good at expressing them. Thank you. Looking forward to the next Blog by Terrie.

    ReplyDelete