Saturday 22 October 2016

Getting Ready

August was the time to get ready for the fall art exhibit at the ASSC, (Art Society of Strathcona County).  'Shades of Joy' was a fitting name for a fall show I think. 
After following two well known plein air artists; John Stuart Pursey and Dennis Perrin, I really wanted to give plein air a try and create something new and different for the fall show.
John Stuart Pursey was giving a workshop ASSC. Oh the excitement, but sadly when I tried to register, the workshop was full.
Dennis Perrin was offering a three week online 'Still Life' workshop on facebook. His live webinar looked amazing and I was all ready to sign up, but quickly realized that $450 USD turns into $600 CAD. For that much money I had too many questions and doubts.

So now I am on my own to work on a new painting style. After several attempts at painting a scene in my backyard, this is what evolved. 
(A few years ago I painted a mural on my backyard fence, the flowers, the window and the slate are real).

acrylic on canvas / "Tranquillity"

For twelve years now I have been painting transparently with acrylics using hand painted tissue paper as my underpainting.  Now I am venturing out and trying acrylics on canvas without the tissue paper underpainting.
If you would like to see my step by step mixed media process, go to my website: www.terrieshaw.com and click on 'slideshow'.

acrylic on canvas - "Fall Trails"

Painting small 5" x 7" watercolour, pen & ink paintings in my journal have inspired me to paint two special little Nova Scotia scenes for the fall show.

 "LaHave River"

"Marybell"

The fall show Open House was held October, 14 in the middle of a blizzard! Understandably very few people came to see 160 wonderful paintings on exhibit, experience the flutist's lovely romantic music and taste the scrumptious horderves served with wine.
Fortunately the weather cooperated for the exhibit for the rest of the weekend.
Sunday afternoon the exhibit was over at 4:00 pm and it was time to pick up my paintings. What a surprise, I sold three paintings! (If no one was watching I would have done the 'happy dance').

What a delight to meet the people who came to pick up their paintings and what a huge pleasure to hear why they chose the them. 
Can you tell I am grinning from ear to ear with joy!?

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! So glad the show went well and you sold three paintings!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Susan. So glad to see you back at ASSC.
    Happy painting!

    ReplyDelete